18:02 <popey> #startmeeting Docviewer meeting
18:02 <meetingology> Meeting started Thu Dec 19 18:02:06 2013 UTC.  The chair is popey. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
18:02 <meetingology> 
18:02 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
18:02 <Chocanto> It was a very huge long time
18:02 <popey> yeah!
18:02 <popey> some links..
18:02 <popey> Docviewer App links:-
18:02 <popey> Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docviewer-app/+bugs
18:02 <popey> Reviews: https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docviewer-app/+activereviews
18:02 <popey> Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone-commons/+spec/coreapps-1404-docviewer-dev
18:02 <popey> General Links:-
18:02 <popey> Milestones: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone-coreapps/+milestones
18:02 <popey> Burndown: http://status.ubuntu.com/coreapps-14.04/
18:02 <popey> Blockers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/CoreApps/Blockers
18:02 <popey> I had some general agenda items
18:02 <popey> * Deciding on features for 14.04
18:02 <popey> * Finalise work items
18:02 <popey> * Setting milestones for work items
18:02 <popey> * Bugs, merges, work items!
18:02 <popey> * Blockers
18:02 <popey> plus anything else we come up with
18:03 <Chocanto> Sound good :)
18:03 <Chocanto> I didn't work on it for 1-2 months now I think
18:03 <popey> In terms of features for 14.04 - I had a few but would be interested to hear what else you were thinking of.
18:03 <popey> Get docviewer in the default image
18:03 <popey> Implement additional file type viewers (office for example)
18:03 <popey> Implement opening of supported file types launched from other applications
18:03 <popey> ^^ those were my initial thoughts
18:04 <popey> thinking if it's in the image, we'll get way more testing
18:04 <popey> and bug reports.. and suggestions for more features.
18:04 <Chocanto> it was my tought too ^^ I got a lot of mails about "how to make docviewer work on my phone"
18:04 <Chocanto> so people don't really use it
18:04 <popey> Ok, so we're agred on that.
18:05 <popey> I'll take an action to figure out what we're missing, to get it in the image
18:05 <Chocanto> some use it, they told me, but they are a minority
18:05 <popey> mhall119: have you spoken to anyone in the past about getting docviewer in the image?
18:05 <Chocanto> yes, about opening file from another application
18:06 <Chocanto> it would be really interesting to open docviewer by filemanager
18:06 <popey> yes!
18:06 <popey> or from the web browser
18:06 <popey> like being sent a document via email
18:06 <Chocanto> because even if you install docviewer on the phone, it's difficult to open a file without using terminal
18:07 <Chocanto> yes also ! :)
18:07 <Chocanto> we can imagine a lot of things !
18:07 <popey> yeah
18:07 <Chocanto> but, it have to be done ^^
18:07 <popey> Do we have a guide to install docviewer on the phone?
18:08 <Chocanto> I created a little guide, then removed it because I tought we could install it from store
18:08 <popey> oh, i didnt think we had a click package for it
18:09 <Chocanto> I worked on it, and a lot of people also worked on it, but I don't think it was added
18:09 <popey> ok, I'll figure that out as part of getting it in the image
18:10 <Chocanto> maybe it was unfinished
18:10 <Chocanto> I have to check that :)
18:10 <popey> perhaps, I'll figure it out
18:10 <Chocanto> ok, thank you
18:10 <popey> what about additional file types?
18:10 <popey> office being the obvious one
18:10 <Chocanto> yes, we have to add office file
18:11 <Chocanto> I think we already started thinking about which library use to do it
18:11 <Chocanto> *to use
18:11 <popey> Have you looked at any libraries for doing that? Like caligra?
18:11 <Chocanto> that was what I was thinking about :)
18:11 <Chocanto> yes I looked it, it is really interesting
18:12 <Chocanto> but we don't have a lot of library like caligra able to render an office file
18:14 <popey> Well, the other option is to limit it to one or two file types
18:14 <popey> like .doc and find specific libraries for those
18:14 <popey> but it seems if caligra could be used there's a lot of benefit there
18:15 <Chocanto> yes I think too
18:15 <Chocanto> I'll look deeper into caligra :)
18:15 <popey> ok, I'll add a work item for you to look at caligra
18:16 <Chocanto> ok thank you
18:16 <mhall119> popey: sorry had to step away
18:16 <popey> i think we'll need some involvement from other parts of the platform to get viewing from other apps working
18:17 <popey> np mhall119
18:17 <mhall119> popey: there's no point in having docviewer in the image until the contenthub can give it files
18:17 <popey> it _has_ to go via contenthub?
18:17 <mhall119> IIRC, kenvandine should have the necessary parts of contenthub ready sometime in January
18:18 <mhall119> popey: it *could* have been hacked into url-dispatcher, but contenthub is the proper way
18:18 <popey> ok
18:18 <kenvandine> mhall119, yeah
18:18 <popey> ok, so being in the image is blocked on that, that's fine.
18:18 <Chocanto> contenthub ?
18:18 <mhall119> using contenthub also means it won't need to go through special reviews
18:19 <popey> ah, wont need lots of permissions
18:19 <popey> good.
18:19 <mhall119> Chocanto: contenthub is what lets apps access files outside of the security sandbox
18:19 <popey> contenthub won't help if (for example) you want to open a pdf attachment in an email, or a word doc in file manager?
18:19 <Chocanto> mhall119 : Oh yes ok, great ! :) It's exactly what we need !
18:19 <mhall119> so, for example, the webbrowser-app can tell contenthub "open this PDF I just downloaded", and contenthub will give docviewer-app access to it
18:20 <popey> ah okay
18:20 <popey> nice
18:20 <mhall119> or docviewer-app can tell the contenthub "give me something to open" and the contenthub will open filemanager-app (or something else) so the user can pick a file to open
18:20 <Chocanto> So it will do something like mail-app -> contenthub -> docviewer-app ?
18:20 <mhall119> yes
18:20 <mhall119> and the reverse too
18:20 <Chocanto> ah also in the reverse direction ?
18:20 <Chocanto> very good !
18:21 <Chocanto> it was what I was looking for 2 months ago
18:21 <mhall119> kenvandine: ^^ that's true, right?
18:21 <mhall119> Chocanto: yeah, it just didn't have enough functionality 2 months ago
18:21 <kenvandine> yeah
18:22 <Chocanto> ok, thank you mhall119 kenvandine :)
18:22 <mhall119> kenvandine: right now, could the docviewer-app request an image file to show?
18:22 <kenvandine> yup
18:22 <mhall119> and if so, what API would Chocanto need to use to do that?
18:23 <kenvandine> the same as system-settings and address-book-app are using with the gallery
18:23 <Chocanto> ok, sso I will watch there :)
18:23 <mhall119> kenvandine: which QML objects?
18:23 <mhall119> Chocanto: http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/sdk-1.0/Ubuntu.Content/ are the available API docs
18:23 <mhall119> the page gives examples
18:23 <mhall119> http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/sdk-1.0/Ubuntu.Content.index/
18:24 <mhall119> I think most of them work too :)
18:25 <Chocanto> thank you :)
18:25 <mhall119> popey: we'll probably need the filemanager-app developers too add contenthub support too, so we can use it as a file picker
18:25 <popey> noted
18:27 <popey> Chocanto: so a work item for you to add contenthub support then?
18:27 <kenvandine> mhall119, it isn't terribly declarative, you call ContentHub.importContent to get a transfer object
18:27 <kenvandine> ContentTransfer
18:27 <Chocanto> popey : Yes, thanks. And I think contenthub will be the priority
18:27 <popey> agreed
18:28 <kenvandine> because the hub creates a transfer object that is shared between 3 processes
18:28 <mhall119> Chocanto: I think as soon as there is support for opening images via contenthub, we can push to get it in the device images
18:29 <Chocanto> mhall119 : Good to ear :)
18:30 <popey> updated work items in the blueprint
18:30 <popey> thanks mhall119 kenvandine
18:30 <mhall119> \o/
18:31 <popey> Chocanto: anything else we need to discuss?
18:32 <popey> maybe put out the call for more contributors? (I can do that)
18:32 <Chocanto> popey : I think not :)
18:32 <Chocanto> popey : Yes, if someone want to contribute I will be really happy ^^
18:32 <popey> Ok, will add to the list of things to put out a call for. leave it with me
18:33 <Chocanto> popey : Ok
18:33 <popey> Ok. I think we're almost done.
18:34 <Chocanto> popey : Thank you a lot popey :)
18:34 <popey> We won't have a meeting next week, holidays..
18:34 <popey> but back the week after - 2nd Jan. Okay?
18:34 <Chocanto> Ok, now I have it in my calendar so I will be here :)
18:34 <popey> Awesome.
18:34 <Chocanto> popey : Have great holidays !
18:34 <popey> Great seeing you again. Happy holidays! See you in the new year.
18:35 <Chocanto> You too ! :)
18:36 <popey> #endmeeting