20:34:21 <ebel> #startmeeting
20:34:21 <meetingology> Meeting started Wed Feb  6 20:34:21 2013 UTC.  The chair is ebel. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
20:34:21 <meetingology> 
20:34:21 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
20:34:27 <ebel> Since it's 8:30
20:34:45 <czajkowski> \o/
20:35:22 <ebel> right please say PRESENT if you're here
20:35:24 <ebel> PRESENT
20:35:29 <andru183_> PRESENT
20:35:30 <Victor9098> PRESENT
20:35:36 <ryano> PRESENT
20:35:38 <barry_> PRESENT
20:36:01 <czajkowski> PRESENT
20:36:19 <ebel> technically the web page for this meeting is here: http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-ie/532/detail/
20:37:08 <ebel> right, but in more general, this meeting was called to talk about rebooting the ubuntu ie loco.
20:37:16 <czajkowski> nods
20:37:23 <czajkowski> cheers to everyone for coming along
20:37:52 <ebel> so, any ideas? thoughts?
20:38:08 <czajkowski> well I think it's great to see people for starts
20:38:08 <andru183_> I'd be glad to see a reboot bring life back
20:38:12 <andru183_> and intrest gathered
20:38:13 <ebel> I presume we should have a little bit of a brain storm, so talk away....
20:38:16 <czajkowski> sp clealry there is an interst in the loco
20:38:26 <czajkowski> I think what we should decide is what we want from the loco
20:38:37 <czajkowski> do we just want it to chat and bounce ubuntu ideas off one another
20:38:41 <czajkowski> a social side of things
20:38:43 <czajkowski> or what
20:38:46 <andru183_> compsoc are psuhing to get more involved with the loco and jams and releases so it would be nice to have a body here
20:38:50 <czajkowski> nods
20:38:56 <czajkowski> andru183_: and that is great to hear
20:39:13 <czajkowski> ryano: barry_ Victor9098 when you hear the word loco and ireland what do you think ?
20:39:19 <andru183_> indeed, been pushing linux inside for a while now and people are really taking to it
20:39:21 <czajkowski> just trying to understand what folks are looking for
20:39:38 <Victor9098> crazy paddies
20:40:12 <czajkowski> heh
20:40:32 <andru183_> for me it would be the online presence and face to face events in a few places. I'd like to see that kept up
20:40:43 <czajkowski> ok hats good to hear
20:40:46 <czajkowski> *thats
20:40:55 <barry_> well , i say about just generalalised ubuntu news for ireland. ie, notifations of linux / ubuntu talks ,  as well as a way to spread linux /ubuntu / open source in ireland
20:41:13 <czajkowski> nods
20:41:15 <czajkowski> good
20:41:21 <czajkowski> as I think it helps spread news
20:41:25 <czajkowski> and keep people up to date
20:41:38 <czajkowski> so like I've been forwarding on some stuff as on silly amount of lists to the .ie list
20:41:40 <andru183_> yep
20:41:42 <czajkowski> but not sure if thats good or bad
20:41:51 <czajkowski> maybe people use U1 and the notice was useful
20:41:54 <czajkowski> that kinda thing barry
20:41:57 <andru183_> I like the stuff sent on
20:41:58 <czajkowski> or ona larger scale
20:42:06 <andru183_> any bit of notice really
20:42:17 <Victor9098> Yes, I think 'quiet' between meetings has let things drift
20:42:34 <barry_> yea, things like that , however i dont use the notes , was a good post.
20:42:41 <czajkowski> barry_: nods
20:42:44 <andru183_> maybe we could all pass things Ubuntu/Linux related to the mailing lists
20:42:54 <czajkowski> so maybe as a start
20:43:01 <czajkowski> I could post stuff that is happening in Ubuntu land
20:43:01 <andru183_> never know what people are intrested in
20:43:06 <czajkowski> that maybe folks in .ie havent heard about
20:43:09 <andru183_> that's a place???
20:43:14 <czajkowski> like say Ubutnu users days this weekend ?
20:43:23 <czajkowski> so people can either watch live
20:43:26 <czajkowski> or read the logs afterwards?
20:43:36 <czajkowski> which maybe helps to start up a conversation
20:43:41 <andru183_> great!
20:43:41 <czajkowski> but not helping the face to face bits
20:44:00 <andru183_> events will come, like the release parties and jams
20:44:15 <barry_> the only thing i would say about the mailing list is that some people might be 'reserved about giving out there email - i would say a more facebook/ twitter post would be a good  idea about vaious pieces
20:44:18 <andru183_> UH's down here died
20:44:22 <czajkowski> I dont want to interfer too much given I dont live in .ie anymore either
20:44:40 <czajkowski> barry_: good call ok we shall update those places also
20:44:41 <ryano> Being Ireland I think any membership is going to be pretty spread out across and I personally find it impossible to attend any events, on the other hand I've been stalking irc and the mailing for a long time and havnt found a way that I can contribute myself yet
20:44:54 <czajkowski> ryano: ok so let me ask you this
20:45:00 <czajkowski> what way would you like to contribute ?
20:45:42 <czajkowski> tdr112: ebel zmoylan thoughts ?
20:46:19 <ebel> sounds good.
20:46:34 <ryano> I would help out any way in which I could but my linux skills arnt that advance really
20:46:34 <ebel> I mean there is no rules and I hope no-one feels and barriers.
20:46:35 <tdr112> its all well and good talking about these things but you need people to do them
20:46:46 <czajkowski> tdr112: aye which is what it comes down to really
20:46:47 <tdr112> I am not going to put in the time to pass on ubuntu news etc
20:46:55 <ebel> People should feel free to do what they thinks needs doing.
20:47:10 <ebel> and totally agree with tdr112. Talk is low value. Who's going to do something?
20:47:13 <tdr112> i do like meeting up every month or two
20:47:37 <ryano> there definitely isnt a barrier as such, bar myself is what I mean
20:47:54 <czajkowski> ryano: nods
20:48:19 <czajkowski> yeah having people on the ground for face to face events is where it is hard as it's not fair on the same people doing it as it leads to burn out imo
20:48:39 <andru183_> I'd be happy to kick start them again but I'm the Limerick side of things
20:48:45 <andru183_> I used to love the UH's
20:48:52 <andru183_> need people to go tho
20:49:10 <czajkowski> andru183_: so maybe change it from the absolute to somwhere different
20:49:11 <ebel> yep.
20:49:52 <ebel> OK, if you'd like a UH, call one, and go. then the next month or whatever, call one and go.
20:49:54 <andru183_> I've no prob where it goes on TBH, and can look into a netural place like where we had the dinner for skycon
20:50:10 <andru183_> ebel: I'll give it another shot sure
20:51:05 <czajkowski> so why don't we perhaps start there
20:51:11 <czajkowski> andru183_: start off with UH in limerick
20:51:18 <czajkowski> maybe post a short summary after it
20:51:22 <czajkowski> and say how you did it
20:51:31 <czajkowski> so others can do it if there is interest
20:51:33 <andru183_> will do
20:51:43 <tdr112> how much notice do you think we should be giving
20:52:02 <andru183_> stick to the old last thursday of the month or ask the list for input?
20:52:14 <ebel> andru183_: don't ask the list. Just do it.
20:52:19 <ebel> Just do it.
20:52:23 <andru183_> ebel cool
20:52:23 <ebel> Be bold. :)
20:52:26 <andru183_> ha ha
20:52:38 <andru183_> ok you have me now :D
20:52:58 <czajkowski> aye
20:53:12 <Victor9098> Depends on the target audience, if you have a specific group of people you are thinking about just go for it. Routine can come later
20:53:19 <ebel> One could advertise a week or two before then a reminder email the day before
20:53:29 <czajkowski> yeha too much notice and people forget
20:53:45 <ebel> yes, "lots of people want to go, but at different times" is *not* a problem at the moment.,
20:54:51 <andru183_> anywhere else?
20:55:07 <czajkowski> andru183_: start in limerick
20:55:11 <czajkowski> and lets go from there :)
20:55:13 <andru183_> ok
20:55:15 <czajkowski> at least for now
20:55:49 <barry_> do you's mean an UH or dinner type thing - The UH were ussualy on irc as well , no?
20:55:59 <andru183_> ubuntu hours
20:56:12 <andru183_> where we meet face to face and talk about ubuntu/geek stuff
20:56:22 <Victor9098> UH usually just a casual face to face
20:56:45 <czajkowski> call it what ever, just a monthly or what ever frequence of face to face chat
20:56:47 <czajkowski> can be over a pint
20:56:54 <czajkowski> cuppa tea
20:56:59 <czajkowski> supermacs
20:57:00 <czajkowski> :)
20:57:09 <Victor9098> But nothing stopping you from broadcasting it at the same time over the web :D
20:57:13 <czajkowski> it's just face to face tme to talk about Ubuntu open source, or what ever
20:57:52 <andru183_> great craic!
20:58:04 <barry_> just talking over a place with your laptop from what ive heard from jono bacon blogs ect
20:58:14 <ebel> it's the offline equivalent of chatting on IRC
20:58:54 <czajkowski> barry_: yup
20:58:57 <czajkowski> pretty much
21:00:26 <ryano> something I was wondering was is there a replacement link for Planet Ubuntu-ie?
21:00:31 <ryano> http://ubuntu-ie.org/aggregator no longer works for me
21:01:16 <czajkowski> not many people were blogging as far as I could tell
21:01:39 <ryano> ah ok :)
21:01:58 <andru183_> ryano would you like to add to it?
21:02:01 <andru183_> I know I would
21:02:02 <czajkowski> we can add more blogs to the loco team portsal though
21:02:05 <czajkowski> thats not an issue
21:02:44 <czajkowski> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoPortalFeeds
21:02:47 <czajkowski> add blog feed there
21:02:50 <czajkowski> and I can review it
21:02:56 <czajkowski> well me or the other council folks
21:03:08 <andru183_> cool
21:03:35 <ryano> thank you czajkowski
21:04:04 <ryano> I may consider starting an ubuntu blog in the near future
21:05:04 <ebel> ok
21:05:16 <ebel> if you start blogging don't forget to promote it. :)
21:05:22 <ebel> anyone going to do anything else?
21:05:27 <ryano> Will do
21:08:02 <czajkowski> maybe we can just talk more on the mailing list
21:08:07 <czajkowski> and encourag eothers to talk
21:08:12 <czajkowski> there are a lot on there you know
21:08:18 <JamesSweeney> Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here uses Ubuntu desktop and/or Ubuntu server in their work?
21:08:22 <barry_> what about some type of open blog type thing like a thread on http://www.boards.ie/ and others - just post various intresting things - anyway ubuntu related , linux/ and news pieces. - Can be used to promote UH as well- thoughts ?
21:08:42 <czajkowski> JamesSweeney: I do, but not sure I count - I work for canonical :p
21:08:52 <czajkowski> barry_: good idea
21:08:56 <JamesSweeney> sure :)
21:09:04 <czajkowski> barry_: so why not post them there if andru183_ creates the limerick one
21:09:12 <czajkowski> so just help out and help one antoher rather than it fall to tohers
21:09:16 <czajkowski> if you see it's not too much work
21:09:19 <czajkowski> others may get interested
21:10:17 <ebel> JamesSweeney: yes to both. I've used ubuntu in work for years,.
21:10:30 <ebel> barry_: sure, go for it
21:11:49 <JamesSweeney> apologies if i am hijacking the thread but adopting Ubuntu/linux/open source at work is a great way to promote it
21:12:21 <czajkowski> JamesSweeney: no worries
21:12:26 <czajkowski> I just found thishttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/SysAdminSupport
21:12:34 <JamesSweeney> ebel cool. it would be great to chat and compare experiences
21:12:35 <czajkowski> forgot I started that a while back
21:13:33 <barry_> yea , i have no problem with it, anybopdy with a standard account can post as well to make it easy - so for example there was something about richard from GNU coming to do some talk in dublin , things like that somebody can pop in and post as well as people who already are on boards.ie. One thing i saw was Mark Shuttleworth visted trinity and done some speach , However i only saw this after the event. Ill start a post and ask one of
21:13:43 <barry_> the top in the unix section
21:14:06 <ebel> right, so andru183_'s gonna try to do more UH in limerick, right?
21:14:09 <ebel> anything else?
21:14:29 <czajkowski> I'l post more stuff to the -ie list about global ubuntu stuff happening
21:14:37 <andru183_> ebel: yep
21:14:41 <czajkowski> JamesSweeney: care to take your topic to the list and see if we can get more people talking on there?
21:14:53 <czajkowski> JamesSweeney: the idea being we might get more people who lurk on the list to talk
21:14:59 <czajkowski> and maybe want to talk face to face after a few emails
21:15:30 <ebel> JamesSweeney: sure, poke me sometime
21:16:03 <JamesSweeney> will do. cheers.
21:16:05 <ebel> Right, any other actions or shall we move on to the other topic on the agenda?
21:16:30 <ebel> or and maybe barry_ will post on boards.ie (did I read you right?)
21:16:42 <czajkowski> I'm all good
21:17:14 <barry_> yea, ill do it later on
21:17:32 <ebel> so that's it for reboot actions?
21:17:42 <andru183_> seems so
21:18:15 <czajkowski> oh
21:18:18 <czajkowski> the naming bit
21:18:23 <czajkowski> barry_: was that your idea?
21:18:24 <andru183_> ............
21:18:27 <andru183_> oh ya.........
21:18:29 <ebel> czajkowski: yeah that's the second topic I was gonna move on to now
21:18:30 <czajkowski> the S series?
21:18:33 <czajkowski> ah sory
21:18:35 <czajkowski> dont mind me
21:18:54 <ebel> ok, we'll move onto that now. Name! Go!
21:19:15 <andru183_> do we want it Irish tied??
21:19:17 <czajkowski> barry_: firstly well done great idea!
21:19:34 <barry_> yea,  the letter is s - last year it was named on the 23rd of april , so arounnd if we want to put in something , we got to decide really
21:19:35 <czajkowski> secondly mind if I nick your original email and add it to my blog - crediting you of course
21:19:44 <czajkowski> and see if we can get some more suggestsions?
21:20:08 <barry_> yea, no problem at all ,
21:21:03 <czajkowski> cheers
21:21:16 <Victor9098> I was expecting a break in tradition... maybe a 'Super Shuttleworth' ;)
21:21:30 <czajkowski> lol
21:22:09 <barry_> there is 3 proposed suggestions -  Tommy said  -Supreme Sionnach (shun-ach.) and sublime sionnach. Sionnach being Irish for fox, and sublime:" Of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe."
21:22:24 <barry_> mark suggested sublime songbird.
21:23:13 <Victor9098> The Irish themed S is a superb idea, he likes to bring attention to endangered species at the same time. So if we do make a case for Sionnach we could link it to charities etc
21:23:25 <andru183_> cool
21:23:32 <czajkowski> Victor9098: oh nice idea
21:24:32 <barry_> i'm no expert on irish wild life so , any thing else. The old irish lengeds idea by tommy seem a good idea -imo
21:25:13 <Victor9098> Though we run the risk of casual observers making it seem like a overt nod to Mozilla, but I think the Sionnach / Irish connection should overcome that
21:25:44 <czajkowski> barry_: see pm
21:26:36 <Victor9098> Before we decide on the descriptor we should see what Mark/dev have been hinting for 13.10 too, that way we could be try to get a good fit for what they want to achieve
21:27:08 <Victor9098> If we ONLY had somebody on the inside of Canonical...
21:27:17 <czajkowski> lol
21:27:18 <andru183_> darn the luck!
21:27:21 <czajkowski> nout to do with us
21:27:22 <barry_> well , its the last trail run before the big , really big 14.04 lts
21:28:11 <czajkowski> nods
21:29:27 <ebel> OK
21:29:46 <Victor9098> sinuous sionnach
21:30:48 <barry_> marks wants to change the whole idea of a hoobyist or server linux idea - he wants to bring it to the masses 14.04 will be his prize to show why. 13.10 he will want stability so he can run into 14.04 stable
21:31:18 <ebel> so we have >1 suggestion, right? So does only one have to be suggested? Or more than one? If >1 can be suggested, why not suggest them all>
21:31:20 <ebel> ?
21:31:49 <czajkowski> we can have as many as we like tbh
21:32:17 <Victor9098> He likes to surprise people with the name in his blog... us talking about it publicly might automatically rule our ideas out?
21:32:53 <czajkowski> we probably wont get picked
21:33:00 <czajkowski> but it at least shows we're active and discssing new things
21:33:05 <barry_> he might mix the Sionnach idea with something others have suggested
21:33:08 <Victor9098> Yes, agreed
21:34:01 <Victor9098> Blog post promoting the name and a few good reasons pointing to causes will only bring the right attention to the Ubuntu-ie loco
21:34:16 <ebel> ok
21:34:35 <czajkowski> cool
21:34:36 <ebel> who wants to (a) make a suggestion and (b) promote the fact that people in ireland are making suggestions?
21:35:02 <czajkowski> me
21:35:07 <czajkowski> will add it to my blog
21:35:12 <czajkowski> then we can add it to the twitter ac
21:35:23 <ebel> kewl. go go czajkowski!
21:35:24 <Victor9098> Sounds good
21:35:42 <Victor9098> Expect a retweet ;-)
21:36:52 <ebel> kewl
21:37:02 <ebel> so is there anything else to discuss at this meeting?
21:37:03 <barry_> i would say he would appericate a community effort
21:37:07 <ebel> or shall we wrap it up?
21:37:24 <czajkowski> wrap up I think
21:37:33 <czajkowski> and maybe aim to have another meeting in a month
21:37:39 <czajkowski> evne if just to hang out
21:37:43 <czajkowski> we could do a G+ hangout
21:37:51 <czajkowski> if there is only  >10
21:38:09 <Victor9098> Hangouts are a laugh, I'll go for that
21:38:51 <ebel> ok
21:39:00 <Victor9098> New meaning to UH (Ubuntu Hangout)
21:39:05 <ebel> heh
21:39:05 <barry_> when they do ubuntu on air , do they use the irc or the youtube comments or what to get questions?
21:39:06 <czajkowski> thanks ebel for chairing
21:39:13 <czajkowski> barry_: irc
21:39:13 <ebel> someone promote it in a while
21:39:15 <ebel> :)
21:39:16 <andru183_> if anyone knows people down the Limerick side of things they might pass this on to promote the UH if that's cool http://skynet.ie/~andru183/how-ive-found-being-a-member-of-ubuntu-ireland/
21:39:17 <czajkowski> wilko
21:39:17 <ebel> #endmeeting