10:07:25 <jea> #startmeeting
10:07:25 <meetingology> Meeting started Sun Mar 10 10:07:25 2013 UTC.  The chair is jea. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
10:07:25 <meetingology> 
10:07:25 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
10:07:43 <jea> #meetingtopic Ubuntu-AU March 2013 Team Meeting
10:08:10 <jea> http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-au/543/detail/
10:08:39 <jea> I welcome everyone to the March 2013 Team Meeting
10:08:52 <ikt> :D
10:08:56 <bash321> :)
10:09:31 <jared> Sorry I"m late :/
10:09:36 <jea> Well, we had aimed to do a recap of 2012, and plan out 2013
10:10:00 <jea> jared: no problem - i only just opened the meeting
10:10:21 <jea> #topic Recap of 2012
10:10:35 <jea> I think jared would be able to add to this also
10:10:58 <jea> We had a number of meetings last year, only missing a couple
10:11:34 <jea> We also held events during the Ubuntu Global Jams
10:11:42 <bash321> cool.
10:11:43 <jea> and  there were some release parties
10:12:08 <jared> Meetings were good, online global jams were good and we had some release parties :)
10:12:53 <jea> From memory, we are to be re-evaluated to be an official LoCo team this year
10:13:09 <jared> jea: I think so
10:13:21 <jea> So we need to ensure we keep up the work to be official again
10:13:22 <jared> The main problem we're having issues with reapproval would be real world events.
10:13:54 <jea> Unfortunately we have missed some things so far this year, mainly due to people being busy
10:14:26 <jea> Holding physical release parties will help out that issue
10:14:53 <jea> As would holding another Ubuntu information day as we held last year or the year before
10:15:20 <jared> I get the feeling people think that lots of planning and organisation goes into real world meetings, quite the opposite of what usually ends up being required :)
10:15:33 <bash321> i think the info day sounds like a good idea...
10:15:34 <jea> Yes, that is often the case
10:15:47 <jea> bash321: what city are you in?
10:15:51 <bash321> sydney.
10:16:19 <jea> cool. jpickett is doing a release party there, which we will get to later
10:16:19 <bash321> jea: what city are you in?
10:16:27 <jea> jared and I are in Brisbane
10:16:32 <bash321> k cool.
10:17:00 <jea> there used to be quite a few in Brisbane, some in Sydney, some in Melb, a couple in Adelaide
10:17:05 <bash321> jpickett: not on irc list atm.
10:17:06 <jea> one or two in Perth
10:17:16 <jea> no, he left a while ago unfortunately
10:18:10 <jea> I will be holding an Ubuntu event at my uni later this year (july/aug)
10:18:17 <ikt> Brisbane has been the hot spot for ubuntu release parties
10:18:40 <jea> ikt: were you in Brisbane also>?
10:18:41 <bash321> k. i have never seen anyone in my area of sydney use ubuntu.
10:18:57 <bash321> i have used ubuntu since 2007.
10:19:57 <ikt> jea: nah I'm in adelaide, feeling the cold :P
10:20:15 <jea> ah, ok. I really must try to remember who is where
10:20:45 <bash321> a suggestion about...reapproval have ubuntu au made a g+ community page?
10:20:57 <jared> I believe there is on
10:21:08 <jea> Not a community page, because that wasn't around at the time. We do have a G+ page though
10:21:23 <bash321> should we change it to a community page?
10:21:25 <jea> well, no community group, or whatever it is called
10:21:38 <jea> That is something we could look into
10:22:16 <bash321> im just suggesting as i am a g+ user...
10:22:16 <ikt> yeah def
10:22:17 <jared> To be honest, I have no idea how social media works
10:22:20 <ikt> and google hangouts!
10:22:28 <bash321> they are complicated but are lots of fun!
10:22:29 <ikt> jared: 21st century called :P
10:22:36 <ikt> even linus tovalds is on g+
10:22:41 <jared> I've never had time for it, but happy for others to play around :)
10:23:00 <jared> Hey, I joined LinkedIn recently at the suggestion of my uni, I'm slowly getting there
10:23:15 <bash321> i see a lot of linux users that use g+ as i follow the omgubuntu sites and libreoffice sites.
10:23:28 <ikt> lol
10:23:28 <jea> ok, here is the community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114264208670057246365/communities/107973538671652290332
10:23:34 <bash321> linkedin i have to look at... lol.
10:24:08 <ikt> i only have facebooks, and I don't use it much
10:24:10 <ikt> Join Google+ by creating your public profile
10:24:12 <jea> Hangouts have been discussed in the past for meetings, and are certainly something we want to do
10:24:14 <ikt> oh gawd
10:24:14 <bash321> thanks for the link..
10:24:30 <jea> ikt: we have a facebook page and group
10:24:31 <bash321> hangouts sometimes have problems with lagging broadband...
10:24:36 <jea> the group is used more than the page though
10:24:36 <bash321> cool.
10:25:16 <ikt> jea: jup, i'm on that one
10:25:29 <jea> cool
10:26:02 <jea> I think we use social media alright when we have events on
10:26:12 <jea> the problem is a lack of events to keep things going
10:26:14 <bash321> we should also maybe put a link on the loco page as well r we allowed to do that put social networks on the loco pages?
10:26:28 <jea> is that the loco.ubuntu.com page?
10:26:38 <bash321> the one for australia?
10:27:08 <bash321> this one... http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-au
10:27:41 <bash321> 2012 i think was a really good year for ubuntu.. the best i have seen...
10:27:46 <jea> yes, that is it
10:27:47 <jared> I just checked, there is no place for it
10:27:58 <jea> We put most of those details on our wiki page
10:28:10 <jared> It has Flickr group, PIcasa User ID, Pix.iie User ID and Microblogging hash tag options
10:28:12 <jea> and we should put it on the website too (it has not been updated for a while)
10:28:47 <bash321> http://ubuntu.org.au/
10:28:49 <bash321> ?
10:29:57 <jea> yep
10:30:41 <jared> I believe the main issue is really not a lot of people have time to do this stuff so happy to get those that are willing to step in  access to make things happen again.
10:31:04 <jared> Joel & Joel do a great job but they can't do it alone. ikt is flying the flag on the forums well :)
10:31:10 <bash321> time is also an issue for me.
10:31:15 <ikt> i really want to get blinkin cat in here
10:31:31 <ikt> might msg him now
10:32:10 <jea> blinkin cat?
10:32:50 <jea> If we all do a small part, we can get it done
10:33:01 <ikt> http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1392276
10:34:52 <ikt> very active user
10:34:55 <jea> Ok. I should get back on the forums at some point
10:35:10 <ikt> but it's reality that our massive country works against us
10:35:21 <jea> yes, that is a key point
10:35:30 <jared> Yeah if all of us active people were in one city we'd probably be doing well about now :)
10:35:30 <ikt> which is why I think doing what the ubuntu guys did with UDS seems a great idea
10:35:36 <bash321> at least its not as big as russia.
10:35:42 <ikt> ha
10:35:43 <ikt> that's true
10:36:02 <ikt> the ubuntu peeps changed UDS from being a 6 monthly physical meeting to a 3 monthly virutal meeting
10:36:11 <ikt> from what I have seen it has been a success
10:36:23 <bash321> virtual meeting does that require a g+ hangout?
10:36:34 <jea> Maybe we could aim for more G+ Hangouts-on-air this year
10:36:42 <jea> UDS used hangouts
10:37:32 <bash321> will there be a release party in sydney this year??? for 13.04 raring?
10:37:44 <jea> Probably from this topic, the outcome is to ensure we keep up with the events, and investigate online events using hangouts
10:37:45 <jared> bash321: did you want to organise one? :)
10:37:52 <jea> and then we will move to the next topic
10:38:04 <jea> #topic Release Parties Ubuntu 13.04
10:38:13 <bash321> i saw on  this link:
10:38:15 <bash321> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-au/2208/detail/
10:38:47 <jea> Yep, Joel Pickett is organising a Sydney Release Party
10:38:58 <jared> bash321: ah there you go, I thought he'd organised one but wasn't sure.
10:38:58 <bash321> is he on irc atm?
10:39:02 <jea> no
10:39:09 <jea> he goes by sagaci or jpickett
10:39:15 <bash321> thanks.
10:39:26 <bash321> how big are release parties?
10:39:30 <jared> He is usually around semi-regularly
10:39:40 <jared> bash321: depends, anywhere from 3 - 4 people up to 10 - 15.
10:40:11 <jared> They're not grand scale events, just a low key get together for people to share a conversation or three.
10:40:31 <jea> Usually Joel has had a good number turn out
10:40:54 <bash321> cool.
10:41:28 <jea> jared: are you doing anything around Brisbane this time?
10:41:42 <bash321> what date is 13.04 raring ringtail released?
10:41:50 <jared> jea: honestly between work and uni I don't even know when the release is in my schedule
10:41:57 <jared> I'll have a look now
10:42:04 <jea> I am much the same
10:43:24 <jared> Actually, that seems to work out okay. I'd pretty much be up for the same time/date as Joel's
10:44:21 <jea> Ok. If past numbers come again, it should be good
10:45:01 <jared> Cool, you up for it?
10:45:22 <bash321> raring is released on April 25th.
10:45:25 <bash321> 2013.
10:45:35 <jea> Potentially could. I will have to see what assignments i have then
10:46:02 <jared> My uni finishes the week before and starts up again the week following
10:47:26 <jea> looks like the end of week 9 for me (need to double check though)
10:47:53 <jea> I think it should be alright
10:47:55 <bash321> when is the next ubuntu au irc chat?
10:48:08 <jared> bash321: we're always around, just not always at the computer.
10:48:18 <jea> the channel is open 24/7
10:48:26 <jared> The next meeting is in a month's time, unless someone wants to start dabbling with the hangouts
10:48:40 <jea> meetings are always the 2nd sunday of the month, starting at 8pm AEST
10:48:49 <bash321> k.
10:48:52 <jea> (note, we don't use daylight saving time)
10:49:13 <bash321> i know y...
10:49:19 <bash321> sydney does..
10:49:40 <jea> we decided not to for meeting times to allow SA and WA to have nicer times
10:49:52 <bash321> can we create a test event on google plus for the event in sydney?
10:50:00 <jea> yep, I can do that
10:50:03 <bash321> we should ask Joel first?
10:50:16 <jea> He is happy for our events to be put on social media
10:50:38 <jared> The more the merrier
10:50:39 <jea> W[3~welcome BlinkinCat_
10:50:43 <jared> SPeaking of, gday BlinkinCat_
10:50:45 <jea> um, oops
10:50:56 <BlinkinCat_> Hi all
10:51:48 <ikt> heya BlinkinCat_ :)
10:51:56 <bash321> how do ubuntu info days work?
10:52:14 <ikt> g+ has changed a bit since I was on there last
10:52:37 <bash321> i have a thing called computer markets in sydney... on sundays where people sell computer parts..
10:52:41 <jared> bash321: essentially it was an idea that we should hold an installation day but then found a lot of people also wanted somewhere to ask support questions about their hardware as well.
10:53:25 <bash321> support is always very difficult. i find when i use ubuntu.
10:53:33 <bash321> but most of the time it works.
10:53:48 <BlinkinCat_> hi ikt
10:53:55 <jea> ikt: it certainly has
10:53:55 <jared> I am yet to encounter an issue google couldn't answer for me.
10:54:41 <bash321> google has a lot of answers.
10:55:40 <bash321> back to release parties will there be other release parties around australia?
10:56:41 <bash321> apart from sydney?
10:57:18 <jared> bash321: sounds like jea and I might set something up for Brisbane
10:57:58 <jared> Essentially it's down to the locals in each area. There is no real requirement for them to be considered official loco release parties, all they need to do is let people konw it's happening and when/where and we can publish it to the loco.u.c page
10:58:10 <jea> bash321: I think I have created a G+ event now. Would be good to know if you can see it
10:58:14 <bash321> cool...
10:58:19 <bash321> yes i can see it.
10:58:40 <bash321> i have responded as maybe as i am not sure what i am doing in april with uni and work.
10:58:45 <jea> great
11:01:47 <jared> Hah, apparently 95 people have me in their circle. Gotta love gmail accounts
11:02:15 <jea> you should post things more then
11:02:26 <bash321> most of my friends are on fb.
11:02:31 <jared> I don't actually use G+
11:02:43 <bash321> thus thats the problem.
11:02:48 <jared> :)
11:03:08 <bash321> so i use g+ for following tech and ubuntu stuff.
11:03:23 <jea> bash321: you can join our facebook group
11:04:01 <jea> Is there anything else to discuss at this meeting?
11:04:23 <bash321> thanks.
11:04:35 <BlinkinCat_> Sorry I missed it
11:04:54 <jea> BlinkinCat_: no problem. Glad you could be here for some of it
11:05:10 <jea> #topic Next Meeting
11:05:15 <BlinkinCat_> No probs :)
11:05:43 <jea> The next meeting will be held in #ubuntu-au on April 14, starting at 8pm AEST
11:05:47 <jea> See you all there
11:05:49 <jea> #endmeeting